Having problems watching the video? Watch it directly at YouTube.
In this video we look at the skills necessary to properly catch a basketball. Yes, there’s a right way to catch a basketball. At worst, you need to avoid jamming a finger – which can prevent you from playing basketball for several weeks. At best, you need to make it hard for your opponent to catch the ball instead of you.
- provide a clear target for your teammate
- the target should be away from your defender
- form a pocket with your hands, fingers spread and pointed outward
- your hands and elbows should be out from your body
- step to the ball – be active
- look the ball into your hands
- catch first, then go